Kayaking Pisew Falls rapids

by 22:11 0 comments
Pisew Falls August 2013

This is my first post in over a year,  but hopefully there will be more soon. I've been very busy with a move to Thompson, Manitoba, new position at work, and planning a wedding. It was my first winter in Thompson in 8 years... lets just say it was long and extremely cold. Cross country skiing at -45 degrees Celsius (-49 Fahrenheit) isn't so fun after a while. On top of that the hours of daylight were near zilch. I would go to work in pitch blackness and come home in pitch blackness... I would go days without getting a glimpse of the sun.

Basically I had to downsize to apartment friendly gear,  the old canoe and kayak are gone and I upgraded to the Innova Swing II inflatable kayak that I picked up at MEC. It is fantastic. I would highly recommend it due to its lightweight, portability, stability, and overall performance. It is very rugged, but still a good idea to bring the patch kit along just in case.

After checking out the Rapids at Pisew falls for a couple weeks, we finally got around to running them. It was a piece of cake, and somewhat of a let down for all the planning and insight we had received from others. Overall it was it was fun, a great way to enjoy the outdoors, and I think that more people should enjoy these easily accessible Class I Rapids. Safety first of course. I also think we may have to revisit some of the rapids from out Pisew Falls to Paint Lake canoe trip from a couple summers ago... and more importantly I have now completely overcome my fear of fast moving water.

Check out the vids below.

Harvey

Outdoors Enthuiast

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.